I am so excited to share my mom-friendly summer capsule wardrobe today! Summer is my favorite season to dress for! I know that it’s not the case for everyone because summer can be hot. It’s hard to put together cute outfits when the weather is too warm. That’s why I am hoping that this capsule wardrobe will help you stay stylish, cute, and cool all summer long!
*This post contains affiliate links.
How to make getting dressed easy in the summer?
If you are like me, getting dressed in the summer needs to be easy. My kids expect me to be ready for anything and this is why I don’t want to spend any time putting much thought or effort into my summer outfits. That’s why for this summer capsule wardrobe I wanted to pick pieces that are easy to throw on and go!
Dresses and rompers always make great throw-on-and-go pieces because they are just one item. You just need a cute sandal and your outfit is complete. I also like to have a variety of simple tank tops and shorts to mix and match.
How to keep your summer wardrobe cute when it’s so hot out?
As I mentioned, summer can be hot. With other seasons you can add layers that help complete your outfits, but in summer we often have to skip the layers. This is why I like to step it up with my accessories! Jewelry, like statement earrings or cute necklaces, can really help elevate your look. Some of my favorite statement earrings that I wear are from TLD Jewelry! (Code: KATIE10!) They have a great selection of lightweight statement earrings that are easy to wear and pair with simple outfits.
You can also use accessories like hats, sunglasses, and purses to elevate your summer outfits. Having a few cute pairs of sandals that you can rotate through is always helpful in the summertime as well. As far as layers in the summer, I still wear them indoors. The A/C is cold in the summertime, and I always keep something light to throw on in my car. Especially when I am heading into the grocery store.
What bras to wear with your summer tops?
Bras and tops in the summer are hard to match up. I have 2 favorite bras for summer. My Aerie Real Sunnie Wireless Lightly Lined bralette is my go-to for wearing under my high-neck tank tops. The bra comes in enough in the front and back so it doesn’t pop out on the side of your tops. It’s also great for wearing with v-neck shirts.
For strapless bras, I have the All.You. LIVELY no wire strapless bra from Target. It’s very comfortable and doesn’t slide down like other strapless bras. I also just ordered the Enbliss wireless strapless bra from Soma, so I will be sure to share a review over on Instagram once I try it!
What’s in my mom-friendly summer capsule wardrobe?
In this summer capsule wardrobe, you will find lots of easy-to-put-together pieces. Casual shorts and tops to mix and match along with easy one-piece dresses and rompers. I did include a couple of layers because you never know when you might want to throw on a light layer in the summer. I also have a few repeat pieces from my spring capsule wardrobe!
As always I do my best to include affordable pieces, but I always encourage you to shop your own closet first. You don’t know what you need to shop for until you know what you actually already own. I hope that this capsule can help you rediscover some of the clothes you already own and learn a new way to wear them. Or you might be able to find something new that your wardrobe is missing.
- Elevated blouse– Having an elevated top in your summer capsule wardrobe can help step up your basic summer shorts outfits. When I refer to an elevated blouse, I just mean any top that has a little extra detail than your basic tees and tanks. It can have a pattern, texture, or some extra sleeve details. For this post, I picked out a navy polka dot blouse that I bought last summer at LOFT. (Currently out of stock, but I was able to find some similar options HERE and HERE.) I really love navy and white in the summer because they are perfect to wear for Memorial Day and the 4th of July.
- White bodysuit– I know not everyone is crazy about a bodysuit, and if this is you, then feel free to just stick to a white t-shirt. If you are willing to try a bodysuit, then one of my favorite styles is a white short sleeve bodysuit. They can be worn with almost any bottom and I like that they give you a nice clean tuck with a slimming look. You also get some extra coverage in the back when you bend over.
- Black tank top (small)- I like to have a good amount of neutral tank tops in my wardrobe during the summer. A black tank top is always my go-to! My favorite tank tops are from Target! I just love the style, but really any black tank top or t-shirt will work for this capsule wardrobe.
- Pop of color tank top (small)- I have been seeing so many bright colors in the stores lately! Having a tank top of a trendy color of the season is the perfect way to refresh your wardrobe each season, without spending a lot of money. I am really loving pink at the moment, so I had to grab another Target tank top in bright pink!
- Striped button-down shirt (xsmall)- I usually include a white button-down shirt in my capsule wardrobe posts, but this summer I decided to add a striped button-down shirt. I think the stripes are fun for summer! An oversized button-down shirt can be a great summer piece because there are so many ways to wear it as a lightweight layer!
- Tan Cardigan (small)- If you have read any of my other capsule wardrobe posts, then you have already seen this cardigan. This is the perfect cardigan for all seasons!
- Denim jacket (small)- A denim jacket is a must for me in the summer. My all-time favorite denim jacket is my Liverpool jacket! It’s the perfect fit and has a soft, stretchy material. Another great affordable option is the Walmart Time and Tru denim jacket. It has a similar fit and style with a soft fabric.
- Black Romper (small)- This black button romper from Amazon has been a summer staple in my closet for the past couple of summers. If you have been unsure about rompers, then this is a great one to try! I really love wearing them as a bathing suit cover-up or just something quick and easy to throw on to run errands or take the kids to the park.
- Striped Tank Dress (small)- I find a striped tank dress to be an easy throw-on-and-go wardrobe piece for summer. They are always fun to dress up or down! I had this Target striped dress in my spring wardrobe capsule so I decided to keep it for summer!
- Athletic dress (small)- I love wearing athletic dresses in the summer. When it’s really hot out you can easily throw on an athletic dress and feel put together. You don’t even need to wear a bra with them because they are built-in. I know that some people find the one-piece athletic dresses to be a little uncomfortable for using the bathroom, but that’s why I also am sharing 2 piece athletic dresses with shorts separately.
- White Shorts– I love white shorts in the summertime. I find white shorts to be less intimidating to wear as a mom than long white pants. I guess there is less white material to worry about getting dirty with shorts. My white shorts were bought last summer at Madewell when they had a huge sale. I have found that this pair of shorts from Target has a good fit. I also like the Abercrombie white shorts.
- Denim shorts (size 2) I actually never used to like denim shorts. For years I avoided them, but in the last few summers, I think I have found the secret to finding denim shorts that make me feel good wearing. They need to be high-waisted and they need to be at least a 4-inch inseam. This summer I am really loving the dad short style, which is more of a 5-inch inseam. Abercrombie dad shorts are a great pair, but I was able to find a similar less expensive pair at Walmart that has a very similar fit!
- Color pull-on shorts– Pull-on shorts are so comfortable in summer! There are lots of options out there at the moment, but my favorite pair is my green pull-on shorts from LOFT. I like the material of these shorts much better than the linen materials I have tried.
- Ruffle skirt (small)- A comfy pull-on skirt is a great bottom to have in your wardrobe in summer. I have this ruffle skirt from Amazon and I love it. You can wear it over a bathing suit or dress it up. It’s just a great versatile bottom!
- Black bathing suit (small)- I wanted to include a bathing suit in the summer capsule wardrobe because I feel that a good mom-friendly bathing suit is important to have. My personal favorite style of bathing suit is a black one-piece with a deep v-neck like this bathing suit from Amazon. You really can’t go wrong with black.
- Everyday slide sandals– I love a good slide sandal in a neutral color that can be worn every day. My favorite pair is my braided sandals from Target. Target has a great selection of comfortable everyday sandals.
- Elevated flip-flops– I call these shoes elevated flip-flops. I always like to have casual thong-style flip-flop sandals in my summer shoe collection, but I want something more than just a rubber pair of flip-flops. (I still keep a pair of rubber Old Navy flip-flops on hand for the yard or beach.) This is why my Circus by Sam Edelman sandals are one of my favorite pairs of sandals. They go with everything but also work great to wear with a bathing suit when I want to feel a little cuter at the pool.
- Dressy sandals– Although I love a good heel, sometimes it’s nice to have a good flat sandal that can dress up your outfit. I always feel like anything that sparkles a little can dress up your outfit. You could also go for a more elegant sandal style. Whatever meets your idea of a dressy pair of flat sandals will work!
- White sneakers– White sneakers are always a must in my mom wardrobe. I wear them with shorts and dresses all summer long. My Nike white sneakers are my go-to pair of white sneakers, but there are so many great affordable white sneakers out there to choose from! You may already own a pair as well!
- Baseball cap– I always include a baseball cap on my mom-friendly wardrobe capsule because I wear mine all the time! 47′ hats are my favorite!
- Straw hat– I wear my straw hat all the time in the summer! It’s one of my favorite summer accessories. It keeps the sun off my head and just helps complete my outfits.
- Sunglasses– You can’t go through summer without some cute sunglasses. My favorite pair at the moment is this pair of sunglasses from Amazon. (code: THRIFTYWIFEKH)
- Belt bag– I love having my little belt bag. I wear mine when I don’t need to carry a lot. Running up to the store or going to the park is perfect.
- Straw Tote– A straw tote bag is always my favorite purse to have for summer. It’s nice to have a tote that is large enough to put all your mom essentials in! You can also use it as a cute beach bag as well!
Leave a Reply